Mrs. Mairs, M.A.Ed. Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
About Mrs. Mairs
As a fifteen year veteran teacher in Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD), I have been honored to tackle many of the Social Science offerings including classes in Advanced Placement United States History, Advanced Placement Art History, United States History, Accelerated World History, American Cultures, Economics, Geography, and SDAIE World & US History. In addition, I acted as the Lead Coordinator for the Dana Hills High School Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) Program from 2007-2013 and for Aliso Niguel High School from 2001-2005, building both programs to certified sites and propelling the DHHS AVID Program to a CUSD demonstration site as a model of advancement, mastery, and innovation in technique.
To further my skills and my ability to provide plausible and proven techniques to help my students to advance their learning, I earned a Master of Arts Degree in Education/Humanities and Information Literacy (M.A.Ed.) from California State University San Marcos (CSUSM, 2011) and a Supplement in Technological Applications and Concepts (CSUSM, 2010). I have also attended College Board Advanced Placement Conferences in AP United States History (CSUSM, 2011) and AP Art History (USD, 2013) as well as Common Core conferences at UCI (2012-2013). As a result I was a presenter of Common Core strategies for CUSD teachers in the Spring of 2014. I hold a California State Clear Single Subject Teaching Credential in Social Science with a Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development (CLAD) Emphasis (CSUSM, 2000). Previously, I earned a Bachelors of Arts Degree (B.A.) in History with a Social Science Concentration (CSUSM, 1999).
In an effort to further my skills and push my practice, I have participated in countless additional university classes, workshops and conferences. Most recently, I have been a team member on the CUSD Common Core Task Force (2012-2013) where I worked to develop information and materials for teachers as we move toward the new Common Core Standards in the fall of 2014. Additional relevant training includes, but is not limited to:
- 8 hours of training at the DBQ Project Seminar (CUSD, 2014)
- 24 hours of training at the University California Irvine California Reading & Literature Project; Teaching Complex Text with Common Core State Standards (UCI, 2013)
- 30 hours of training at the College Board Summer Institute for Advanced Placement Art History (USD, 2013)
- Presenter, AVID Demonstration Site (CUSD, 2012)
- 30 hours of training at the College Board Summer Institute for Advanced Placement United States History (CSUSM, 2011)
- Certification in Understanding by Design/Backward Planning (CUSD, 2007)
- Over 150 hours in AVID Summer Institute & PATH trainings (AVID Center, 2000-2006) with 3-5 additional 8 hour Coordinator Workshop trainings per year (OCDE, 2000-2013)
- Guided Language and Academic Development (GLAD) certification (CUSD, 2006)
- Presenter/Trainer, AVID Coordinator Workshop, 4Year Plans (CSUDH, 2003)
Finally, I have been a Mentor Teacher in CUSD for eleven years, working with student teachers from South Orange County and North County San Diego university credential programs. This experience has compelled me to stay current in my teaching techniques and to consistently renew my methods and practice. I am proud to have been awarded the DHHS Teacher of the Year in 2011 and recognition from the 2012 Washington Post Challenge Index for Increasing Access to Rigor & Promoting College Readiness at DHHS. My greatest challenge, and reward, to date has been in raising my own two small children. It is at home that I am constantly reminded of the responsibility that my community has entrusted in me; the education and guidance of your children. I am excited to work with you to ensure a positive and rewarding experience for our students.